Head of Land Transportation, China
Job Location: Shanghai
The Head of Land Transportation is fully accountable for P&L and operations of the Transportation and Distribution products for the site, having business development & operational ownership. Operational management supporting and enabling the company’s CL product families and value proposition to our clients being either stand alone or part of a global supply chain solution.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support business growth through development and costing of innovative and commercially viable transport solutions
- Support the optimization and renewal of current transport contracts through review of current operating processes, removal of bottlenecks and introduction of innovations to enhance financial returns and create barriers to exit for customers
- Understand market rates for main transport lanes in China and work with subcontractors and/or vendor managers to ensure that the company is sourcing the most competitive rates possible
- Meet with customers to develop a detailed understanding of their business requirements and future objectives and develop solutions consistent with those requirements
- Present solutions to customers in a confident and professional manner
- Regularly engage with and build solid working relationships with other internal business departments including business development, operations, finance, IT, HR and HSSE
- Present solutions for internal sign off citing potential risks to the business and strategies that have been applied for risk mitigation
- Stay up to date on the latest developments and innovations within the transport industry
SKILLS ESSENTIAL TO THE JOB
Technical (Doing skills – job related knowledge, policies, procedures, techniques).
- Detailed understanding of the transport industry in China including transport companies, hubs, and routes, loading and un/loading practices, government legislation and imposed vehicle restrictions
- Experience in rate negotiations with subcontractors
- Experience using transport cost models
- Detailed analysis of large data sets and the ability to present key analysis outcomes in an effectively summarized manner
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Detailed understanding of transport cost drivers and pricing models
Business (Understanding of business concepts, knowledge of the organization, profitability).
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and facilitation skills
- Strong verbal and written English Language skills
- Fluent in Mandarin Chinese
- Strong Commercial acumen
- Good overall knowledge of the industry and client markets
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Professional and strong presentation skills
- Able to travel throughout China and occasionally to other countries in Asia based on solution support requirements
Human Relations (People skills in servicing, influencing, developing, and leading others).
- Strong drive and resilience
- Able to work unsupervised
- Culturally Diverse and able to work with people of different backgrounds and languages
- Ability to build strong relationships with people at all levels.
- A willingness to see things through to the end
- Able to work under pressure and multi-task
- A team player who is comfortable working with other professionals
- Functional know-how in Transportation management
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and to tight deadlines