Alcott Global is partnering with a leading medical device firm to look for its Head of Transportation and Customs Compliance to be based in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Lead inbound and outbound “domestic” and import/export transport operations with respect to procurement and the supply chain; manage issues as they arise and resolve problems efficiently.
- Develop cost and service-competitive transportation models to enable revenue growth and margin improvements
- The role reports to the VP of Operations, North America
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage/monitor logistics for all Sunrise Medical North American locations including carrier issues and routing.
- Negotiate less than truckload, ocean, and small package contracts.
- Develop and maintain cross-functional relationships to provide education, and support to enable growth.
- Manage all less than truckload, ocean, and small package carrier performance and manage carrier damage claims.
- Monitor and manage day-to-day import and export operations including daily communication with third-party logistics providers (3 PLs), freight companies, customs brokers, courier companies, and freight forwarders, as well as periodic communication to suppliers and customers.
- Responsible for monitoring and training of freight forwarders’ order management system and reports.
- Provides operational support for distribution centers, manufacturing, and import/export operations including but not limited to obtaining quotes, tracking/expediting shipments, and providing transit reports.
- Manage compliance with import/export regulations from DOC, USITC, BXA, and Customs and provide all applicable documentation for key customers and regulatory agencies as required for all Sunrise North American locations.
- Responsible for Tariff Classification and FDA device listing information communicated correctly to government agencies.
- Responsible for management and testing for ongoing C-TPAT compliance including monitoring of requirements, auditing, coaching, training, and all other requirements to maintain certification.
- Responsible for maintaining the import/export product master database.
- Review, approve/revise, and maintain all freight invoices, liquidation notices and bank confirmations.
- Provides problem-solving around issues with regards to freight companies, 3 PLs, suppliers, customs, and FDA.
- Maintain files of freight invoices, liquidation notices, and bank confirmations in accordance with customs record keeping compliance requirements.
- Prepares and/or maintains daily and monthly reporting as required.
- Lead a team of logistics and compliance analysts and specialists.
- Manage the Import/Export team in Tijuana, Mexico.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics/transportation/international trade or related area discipline required.
- Minimum of 5-6 years import/export experience in industry or with a forwarder/broker or global transportation company.
- Combination of experience in customs compliance, international transportation, operations, and airfreight preferred.
- C-TPAT experience preferred
- U.S. Customs Tariff Classifications experience preferred
- FDA experience preferred
- Ability to effectively lead/manage people or process
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, tolerances, and technical specifications
- Ability to effectively present information and negotiate with suppliers
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office Suite programs and advanced skills with Excel
- Proven ability to problem solves and multi-task
- Diagnostic Information Gathering – Identifying the information needed to clarify a situation, seeking that information from appropriate sources, and using skillful questioning to draw out the information
- Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Initiative – Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked to or required by the situation.
- Business Acumen – Acting with insight and intelligence in the areas of commerce and industry.
- Managing Performance – Taking responsibility for one’s own or one’s employees’ performance, by setting clear goals and expectations.
- Customer Orientation – Demonstrated concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers
- Stress Management – Functioning effectively when under pressure and maintaining self-control in the face of hostility or provocation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Mathematical Reasoning – The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem. Ability to apply mathematical and statistical concepts to predict material requirements, lead-time offsets, economic order quantities, minimum lot quantities, carrying costs, pricing, and overall costs and to determine statistical trends related to supplier quality.
- Deductive Reasoning – The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning – The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Oral Comprehension – The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Perceptual Speed – The ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences among sets of letters, numbers, objects, pictures, or patterns. The things to be compared may be presented at the same time or one after the other.
- Problem sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Visualization – The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
- Written Comprehension – The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing. Must be able to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, engineering drawings, tolerances, technical specifications, and legal documents.
- Written Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Vision – Requires close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Attendance – Regular attendance is required.
- Overtime – Must be able to work overtime, as required.
- Travel – Ability to travel for business purposes.